Monday, April 6, 2009

~Roots~


~Roots~
I am EXTREMELY proud of this piece.
Sorry to say the camera doesn't do it justice. Believe it or not, I used really cheap oil pastels and crayons on this. Ya know those kits ya can get at Michaels for children, that have black paper on them which reads oil pastels, or crayons? Those are what I used. Who says ya have to spend a fortune on art supplies to make good art? I was given the kit as a gift from a well intentioned friend, and I'm a strong believer in not wasting anything of use.
The reason why I made this piece was for a Georgia O'Keeffe Challenge, one of my art groups is having. I was quite intimidated, to even think I could even try to interpet her techinique. I didn't plan on doing any art work before bed last night because I was in so much pain. Our family did yard work yesterday and I was exhausted, So my plan was to go straight to sleep. Instead I went to my tub and my supplies called to me. Don't laugh ya know ya listen to inanimate objects speak! I really wanted to work with crayons. I pulled out all my supplies, then decided against them and pulled out the cheapy supplies. Ya know even imitation art supplies need love too.
I call this piece "Roots" since Lil Love and I were pulling weeds yesterday. lol She was such a joy to watch. She would pull up some weeds, or loose leafs and say "I helping" as she put it into the bag. Her Papa tried to get her to pick up gum balls for a penny a piece. She points to the bag and says "hunded dollars Papa" I laughed because she's a smart baby, and she knew there were tons of gum balls already in the bag. When the yard work was all done we enjoyed hamburgers on the grill for dinner. A wonderful family day, all working together for the good of our home and each other. A home filled with Love, Peace and Tranquility.
These are moments to remember and treasure, the small things with those ya love. The heart of any family life.
The Roots.


7 comments:

Marylin Houle said...

You did a great job :) It's very tranquil to look at.

Pearle said...

Wow! This is so pretty! I love the colors and the movement of it. Very, very nice!

~Vintage Nina~ said...

Hi! Very nice. I love it when I am inspired at night. I love that you used cheap pastels and crayons.....and look at the beauty you created! You are right, who says you have to spend allot of money to make art! Beautiful work. What a great story too about working in the yard with the family:) Great memories! Thanks for sharing!
HAPPY DAY!!!
~Nina

Karin Bartimole said...

I really like this piece, too!! the colors are rich and the flow of the growing and rooted energy in it is wonderful. I see reaching movement, like new growth towards sunlight, maybe because of the signs of spring here. :)

Lydia said...

Very soothing colors! Just lovely:)

GlorV1 said...

I really like this piece. Roots are the foundation of life. Thank you for sharing.

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I LOVE it too! very good job!